Aug 3, 2012

The Shadow Cats by Rae Carson Review

The Shadow Cats by Rae Carson
(Fire & Thorns, #.5)
Release Date: July 17, 2012
Publisher: Greenwillow Books; 54 pages
Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness. And it was not Alodia.

Alodia is the crown princess of the realm. The sister who knows how to rule, and the one who is constantly reminded that she has not been marked for a grand destiny. But Alodia has plans, and she will be the greatest queen her people have ever known. So she travels--with her hopeless, naïve, chosen sister--to a distant part of their land, to begin to secure her supporters. This region needs its princesses, for it is plagued with a curse. The crops don't grow, the spring doesn't arrive, and a fierce jaguar stalks the shadows, leaving only empty homes splashed with blood behind. If Alodia can save them, no one will be able to deny her strength and her sovereignty.

But what she discovers could change the fate of her kingdom, if not her world. And it will most certainly change her opinion of her younger sister.








I never really cared for Alodia in Girl of Fire and Thorns but I can say, after reading The Shadow Cats, I still don't care for her too much but I do respect her. One day she will be a strong leader and she is incredibly brave.

Her relationship with her steward, Zito, is amazing. The truly do care for one another on more than him just being her steward, there is definitely more there. I'm not saying a romantic relationship (though I would so love that) but I'm just saying, there's a true, strong bond between the two of them that is charming.

It's a fun novella getting a look at the sister who was overshadowed by her younger sister. You can see there's jealousy but it's not as bad as one would've thought. (Or at least, I didn't think so) It certainly has me staring at my calendar for September 18th to roll around so I can get my hands on Crown of Embers.

If you liked Girl of Fire and Thorns, you should read this. When you like a series, I think you, as a fan, want to read anything and everything that's out there relating to the series. So, don't miss out on this. Especially if you were like me and just kind of wrote Alodia off. Give her a second chance, I'm sure you'll be as surprised as I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...