Jul 6, 2012

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent Review

My Soul To Take by Rachel Vincent  
(Soul Screamers, #1)
Release Date: August 1, 2009
Publisher: Harlequin Teen; 279 pages

She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.



When I was younger I used to want to know the future.  I thought it would be cool.  But to know when someone is going to die, is not exactly something I wanted to know.  And unfortunately the main character in My Soul to Take the first book in the Soul Screamers series discovers she has this ability.  Kaylee Cavanaugh is a teenager who currently resides with her aunt, uncle, and cousin Sophie after her mom died when she was child and her father moved away after her mother's death.  Kaylee's life is pretty much basic for anyone in her situation.  She leads a pretty normal life, until while at a club one night she catches the eye of one of the popular boys at her school Nash Hudson.

I was very suspicious of Nash at first.  He seemed almost too charming, and I found it very random that after going to school with Kaylee for so long he suddenly has interest in her.  But then again, teenage boys are pretty much like this.  They can know you forever, but then suddenly have an interest in you.  When Kaylee starts foreseeing a death, she has to hold back a harsh scream that can pretty much wake the dead.  A few years ago was when she discovered that she had this ability, and it caused her to be hospitalized.  But for some reason while, she's near Nash he's able to calm her down.  I found this to be very cute.  It gave Kaylee and Nash a connection that shows the strength of their relationship.  That they really weren't your average couple.

Now while I do think Kaylee and Nash are a very cute couple.  My favorite character is actually Tod.  Tod amuses me greatly.  I find him to be funny yet mischievous at the same time.  His antics really do make me laugh.

I do have to say that reading this book did take me a little bit longer than it normally takes me to read a book.  That is until I got to the last 50 or so pages of this book.  The last 50 pages of this book actually improved my rating of this book.  I was so compelled by the last few chapters.  In fact, I ended up staying up late to finish the book even though I knew I had an early engagement the following morning.  I just couldn't put the book down, I had to get to the end.  There was even a very jaw dropping moment, that I really didn't see coming.  But once it was revealed, I realized the clues were there all along.  I just didn't pick up on them.  I personally love when this happens when I read a book.  It means the author did a very good job at storytelling.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...