Apr 12, 2012

Book Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa
(Blood of Eden, #1)
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen; 485 pages

In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn’t easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.

If I could give a book more than five stars, I would certainly do that for this book. Seriously, hands down, the best book I have read so far this year. I thought the Iron Fey series was something amazing (which it totally is) but man, Julie totally blew that series out of the water with the beginning of what will be a spectacular series.

Usually in any book I read, I fall in love with at least one male character. Well, I’m admitting right here that I have my very first girl crush on a character. Allie is so kickass that she totally overshadowed any of the boys in this book. I like characters in a lot of books, some series the main female character is annoying but let me tell you, Allie is so far from annoying. She’s fiesty and snarky. If she’s insulted she dishes right back with no hesitation at all. She’s so positive for her entire life being hell. She’s not too serious but fierce when she needs to be. She is lethal with that sword (katana) of hers. As if being a vampire wouldn’t be scary enough but that sword is like an extension of herself, which is how she describes it.

Romance is a big thing for me, in any book, YA or not. This book is not filled with romance however, it didn’t need it. I’m serious. The story, the characters, the action – it was plenty to satisfy my romance cravings. But, it’s there. There is romance and it’s a building romance which makes it that much better. None of this instant love nonsense. It’s true and more importantly, it’s true to the characters. There’s even two guys but don’t worry, no love triangle. Confused, are we? Well – you’ll just have to read the book to see exactly what I mean!

Allie’s journey, once she meets up with a group of lone humans gets even more interesting. We’re introduced to Zeke, who is charming, smart and powerful. Not to mention good looking.  Trying to blend in with a bunch of vampire hating humans, how long could that last before she’s found out? How close of a bond will she form with some of these humans before being treated as the monster they believe her to be, if that’s even the case? You’re always on edge wondering when the truth is going to come out or if it is. A vampire can only go so long without human blood before the hunger is too much.

The vampires. All vampires are a love/hate thing with me. There are vampires who are more human, like Allie and her sire, Kanin but then we have vampires who are the monsters we believe them to be. But there are worse vampires…the rabids. The ones who have been infected. They don’t just kill a person, the mutilate them. Rip them to pieces, literally. It’s disturbing and disgusting.

I can’t even put in to words how happy this book made me! I’m afraid to talk too much about the story in fear of spoiling something for someone. But you need to read this book. Especially if you’re a fan of Julie Kagawa’s – you won’t be disappointed, I assure you. If you’ve never read any of Julie’s work (shame on you) then this is for, like I said, vampire and dystopian fans. I don’t know how you could read this book and NOT like it. I really don’t. April 24 – make sure you go out and buy yourself a copy. I know I will be.

*highlight to view spoiler* I nearly cried when Darren was killed. I wished it were anyone but him. I grew incredibly fond of him and knew in my gut that’s who would get slaughtered as an example. But when it turned out to be true, it didn’t hurt less. *spoiler*


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...