Apr 13, 2012

Book Review: Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready

Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready
(Shade, #3)
Release Date: May 1, 2012
Publisher: Simon Pulse; 416 pages

In this dramatic conclusion to the Shade trilogy, Aura and Zachary’s relationship sizzles as the secrets of the Shift are revealed.

Life can change in an instant, and no one understands that better than Aura. It’s been almost a year since her boyfriend tragically died. She’s finally letting go of Logan’s violet-hued ghost, but not her search to uncover the truth about her past.

As the first in a generation that can see ghosts, Aura is convinced she has a connection to the Shift. She’s trusted Zachary, ever patient and ever by her side, with all that she knows. But when the government threatens his life in an attempt to learn Aura’s secrets, she will stop at nothing to protect herself and the one she loves...even if that means betraying her own heart.




Shine is the final book in the Shade series. I have enjoyed this series from beginning to end immensely. Each book in the Shade series was better than the last. Shine is definitely my favorite in the trilogy. I love how consistent these books are. I never once lost interest. With each book the storyline grew, but never swayed from it's origin. It saddens me that this is the last book and series and I will now have to say goodbye to the characters that I love so much.

I've never read a book with a love triangle in which I was a fan of both of the males in the triangle. Usually there is one that I am rooting for, and the other that I despised. I can't help but love both Logan and Zachary. At the end of Shift, Logan passed on, and I missed him terribly in Shine because I absolutely adore him. But his passing in Shift seemed perfect. And with Logan's passing, you would think that now Aura and Zach can finally be together? Nope, from the very first chapter of Shine, Aura has to fight for Zach.

I read the first chapter of Shine a few months ago when the author put it up on her website. The first chapter definitely starts out with a bang. Not wanting to spoil things, I prayed that no one would be so cruel to let something like that happen to Aura once again. I decided to have faith, and no the author wasn't that cruel. But as I previously mentioned Aura has to fight for Zach. She is put into a situation that no soon to be 18 year old should be faced with. Do you side with your country, or the man you love?

In Shade Aura is 16 and in Shine Aura turns 18. Aura is such a strong female. She has gone through so much in the past 2 years of her life, that it makes her very admirable. I know that I would never be able to handle all that she has in her young age. But what I most admire about her is that whatever is thrown at her, she throws it back just as hard without losing her morals.

As for Zachary there were numerous times that I just wanted to give him a hug in Shine. I was happy that he had Aura. Aura and Zach parallel each other in so many ways. But when they are together they are so strong. I was able to see their connection so strongly in Shine. I found myself smiling a lot at the scenes that they are together. I believed in their love, and was rooting for them.

I will miss the Shade series very much. Aura, Zach, and Logan were such a joy to read about. I hope that maybe one day the Shade trilogy could be turned into a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...