Mar 24, 2012

Book Review: Captivate by Carrie Jones

Captivate by Carrie Jones
(Need, #2)
Release Date: January 5, 2010
Publisher: Bloomsbury; 273 pages

Zara and her friends knew they hadn't solved the pixie problem for good. Far from it. The king's needs grow deeper every day he's stuck in captivity, while his control over his people gets weaker. It's made him vulnerable. And now there's a new king in town.

A turf war is imminent, since the new pixie king, Astley, is moving in quickly. Nick nearly killed him in the woods on day one, but Zara came to his rescue. Astley swears that he and Zara are destined to be together, that he's one of the good guys. Nick isn't buying it, though Zara isn't as sure -- despite herself, she wants to trust the new king. But it's a lot more than her relationship with Nick that is at stake. It's her life -- and his.

If you have NOT read the NEED please do not proceed. There are some spoilers that were unavoidable. You have been warned. Proceed with caution . . .

This was the book I was waiting for. The book where a guy would finally grabbed my attention and never let go. Don't get me wrong, I like Nick...but he annoyed me in this book. Baby this and baby that. I don't hear many high school students calling each other baby every few minutes. It was cute, at first, but then it just got annoying. This really is my only negative thing I have to say about this book. I'm not a big fan of the relationship between Nick and Zara. It reminds me, and I'm going to hate myself for doing this but, it reminds me of the creepy relationship between Twilight's Edward & Bella though not as bad.

So now that I got that out of the way I can talk about who I really love. Astley. Astley is a pixie king and seriously, after reading the first book I thought I'd be hooked on Zara and her wolf but then Carrie goes and brings in Astley. I love him. Pixies aren't to be trusted but there's something about Astley that makes you want to believe him and want to trust him. He gives off a different vibe than what we've seen with Zara's father and his 'people'. Astley, unlike Zara's father, wants to make Zara his queen. He thinks she's destined to be his queen. She obviously won't have it but when he's near, her skin turns blue. Is this a sign she truly is destined to be his queen and not only his queen, but his pixies queen?

Throughout this book I seriously wanted to give Issie like a billion hugs. Devyn is being more distant and spending a lot of his time with this other girl, Cassidy. It breaks my heart because these two aren't meant to be together. It's not clear who Zara is destined to be with but dammit, these two are meant to be. No questions asked. Wanna knock some sense in to Devyn a lot of times. He's smart. Why doesn't he figure this out? Everyone else has...

What makes this story so awesome is everything that happens, most of which I can't talk about without giving anything away but I can say...what happens when a third king comes to town while Zara still has her father and his people trapped? What kind of madness will arrive at this small town in Maine? It's not pretty, by any standard. And I have a feeling, things are about to get worse in ENTICE.

If you enjoyed NEED then you definitely need to continue this series. If you haven't read NEED then I suggest you do that, straight away. For paranormal fantasy lovers, this is a fun series for you! Werewolves, pixies and more! What's not to love?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...