Oct 6, 2011

Book Review: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
Release Date: October 18, 2011
Publisher: Scholastic Press; 416 pages

It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.





This is definitely my favorite book by Maggie! There's not as much romance as you've seen in her other books like Shiver and Lament but I think it made it a better story that way. The idea of these Water Horses is just fascinating. Like I've seen other people say, I was roped in from the very beginning. The Prologue had me wanting more and I definitely got more. The book is told from two people's POV's; Sean Kendrick a 19 year old 4 time champion of The Scorpio Races and recently orphaned Kate "Puck" Connelly.

Puck, I thought, was an extremely strong and brave female character. Especially being the very first female to enter The Scorpio Races; not only is she the first female to enter but she's also the first person to enter on a normal island horse, not the deadly water horses this race was made for. She got a lot of heat for both issues but she kept a strong head on those shoulders of hers.

Sean, *highlight to view spoiler* [who lost his father 10 years ago to The Scorpio Races] *spoiler* is a natural with a lot of these water horses, especially Corr, the red stallion that his father rode. This is a wild, deadly beast however Sean seems to be the only one to have control over him. A sort of bond of love that most people don't have with animals. It's beautiful.

If you're a fan of Maggie Stiefvater then I definitely recommend this story to you. But if you're also a fan of something new & interesting with an amazing story, this is the book for you.

2 comments:

  1. So, I haven't read this one yet, but I'm really glad you liked it! I've been worried about this one...worried that it would be too different, worried that I won't like it. I'm now feeling more confident about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I was too. It sounded...weird. BUT oh my gosh! It's sooooo good. Definitely Maggie's best work - hell, even she thinks so LOL. I really have a feeling you'll love it! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...