Oct 11, 2011

Book Review: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon
(Carrier, #1)
Release Date: October 4, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen; 342 pages

Their love was meant to be.

When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRís.

But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction.

CARRIER OF THE MARK is a highly addictive novel. I had heard so much hype before this book was released and when October 4 finally came around I went straight to the bookstore to get my hands on this! Ever since reading the FEVER series by Karen Marie Moning I’ve had a major thing for Ireland, to find out this book is taken place in Ireland got me very interested. The hype was well deserved.

Megan is someone who was handed the short end of the stick. Her mother died when she was young and Megan nearly lost her life in the same car accident that took her mom. She and her father, Caleb, moved around a lot. She was lucky if they stayed in one location for a year but finally her moving to Ireland looks promising. She meets Caitlin and Jennifer on the first day and instantly a friendship is formed. Not to mention meeting one of the hottest guys at school, Adam DeRís, a guy who never gave any student a second look until Megan showed up.

Adam is a dark, mysterious, good looking guy – a guy any girl would find herself curious about. Adam was just as interested in Megan as she was in him. Turns out, Adam is an orphaned lad with a twin sister, Aíne and older brother, Rían. The whole town believes the DeRís family practice witchcraft but what Megan doesn’t know is how wrong the town really is and how involved she’s about to become in their world.

Earth, Fire, Water and Air, the four elements that are meant to keep the world at peace. I don’t think I’ve read a book quite like this one; sure, the love story part of it is similar to a lot of YA novels but the elements – that’s new. It really makes me ask myself, If I had the power of one element, which would I choose? I really think I’d want to be air – it seems fascinating.

The one part of this book that I loved the most, which goes back to my obsession with Ireland, is hearing the way they talk, they’re lingo, if you will. Ireland seems like such a beautiful place, beautiful accents and some very fun words! Thank you, Leigh, now I want to go to Ireland more than ever. The end has you craving more but alas, we must wait. If it’s anything like CARRIER OF THE MARK, it’ll be worth the wait.

I recommend this book to anyone who’s looking for something besides vampires, werewolves, witches, faeries, etc. While it has the fantasy vibe to it, it does seem more realistic. It’s an easy read, so if you’re also looking to just get lost in a book for a few hours, pick up a copy of Leigh Fallon’s CARRIER OF THE MARK today!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...