Oct 26, 2011

Book Review: Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows
(Newsoul, #1)
Release Date: January 31, 2012
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books; 384 pages

NEWSOUL
Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.


NOSOUL
Even Ana’s own mother thinks she’s a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she’ll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are suspicious and afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?


HEART
Sam believes Ana’s new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana’s enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else’s life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?


Jodi Meadows expertly weaves soul-deep romance, fantasy, and danger into an extraordinary tale of new life.

INCARNATE was brilliant. We’re introduced to a world full of fantasy like dragons, trolls, sylph’s and a city called Heart which actually has a pulse. Not to mention every person in Heart or the area surrounding Heart (which is called Range) is always reincarnated every time they die; lots of them are souls which have been around for thousands of years. Then we get Ana who is a nosoul or newsoul, depending on who you are/how you look at it. Ana was born to parents Li and Menehem and they were expecting their newly born daughter to be returning soul, Ciana but instead they got a soul which has never existed before.

This story had me hook, line and sinker all the way until the end. It’s another book (like UNDER THE NEVER SKY) where the romance is building throughout the book. The attraction is building and it isn’t sudden, which is so realistic. Obviously, since we didn’t get the romance until well over halfway through, that wasn’t what grabbed my attention. It was the story and the characters. Sam, who looks like an 18 year old man is really about 5,000 years old. His friends like Stef and Sine are all his age or even older, all have been both female and males in previous lives. It’s completely mind blowing to think about. I mean, imagine coming back in another body, one of the opposite sex, in about 70 years? Being born with the memories of your previous life, being born with the memory of how you died the previous life…of all your previous lives. Mind boggling.

What I absolutely love in a book is when the author gets you so involved in the story, so connected to the characters that when something bad happens, you want to retaliate. The characters are hurt but you’re also feeling their pain, or their anger. This is exactly how I felt reading this book. I even tweeted her at one point asking if she’d be alright with me stabbing a character in the eye with a knife. (Which she said she’s OK with fictional character stabbing lol) When you get that invested in a story you know you’re reading a great book.

I’ve read over 100 books this year and I’ve highly recommend a few books but I can say I have a top 5 list of books I’ve read this year. Books that you (as a reader, especially a YA reader) MUST read. I am so happy to say that INCARNATE has been added in that top 5. (I will post about that soon, so keep an eye out for that).

I am still gushing about this book and it’s been a few hours since I’ve finished reading it. It’s so good and I cannot wait for it to come out so I can get my hands on my own copy. I recommend this book to everyone. If you read, you need to read this. If you love YA, you better read this. Amazing. That’s really all there is too it. Simply amazing. I am certainly looking forward to more. I don’t think I could ever get too much of this world that Jodi Meadows has created. I want to move to Heart, be friends with all these oldsouls.


2 comments:

  1. Fabulous, FABULOUS review! You're enthusiasm is catching...I can't wait to get my hands on this one! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm never really sure if I'm reviewing books properly LOL. I just write what I feel, what the book makes me feel. So I'm glad to see someone likes it! :D And yes, you NEED to read this when it comes out. Simply amazing. I can't wait to own the hardcover. Seriously. It's going to be so pretty on my shelf lol!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...