Dec 6, 2012

Splintered by A.G. Howard Review

Splintered by A.G. Howard
Release Date: January 1, 2013
Publisher: Amulet Books; 384 pages
This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.

When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.







I've never been the biggest fan of Alice in Wonderland. I'm not sure why but it's never appealed to me all that much. I knew it, yes...but it was never one of those stories that grabbed me. However, Splintered certainly grabbed my attention and then some. A retelling, in a sense, but much darker and more mysterious than the version we know. I am in awe at how well and how believable the author was able to make this book.

Also, love triangles are seriously popular in the YA genre, which can get kind of tiresome but let me tell you, this is one love triangle that intrigues me. I believe it is done right. By the end, you kind of like both guys and would be OK with her ending with either though you have a preference. Or at least, I know I did.

Alyssa is the complete opposite of Alice, her ancestor and the girl who fell down the rabbit hole; she's a skater girl and very artistic in a sort of creepy way. She kills bugs and uses them for her artwork. I can't stand bugs so just thinking of this type of art gives me chills (and not the good kind) but I can imagine how unique it must be. Bugs and flowers talk to her, one of the reasons she uses bugs in her artwork. It's her way of shutting them up.

She's in love with her best friend and of course, he's dating the school's biggest spoiled bitch. She accidentally drags him with her unintentionally when she goes to Wonderland. She doesn't even realize he's with her until she's fallen down the 'rabbit hole' and she realizes her mistake. But now that he's here, she's grateful and they're about to set upon an unimaginable quest to break her families curse.

There are some really hot and heavy scenes between Alyssa and both Jeb and Morpheus. Who is Morpheus, you say? He's a childhood friend, if you will. He's the equivalent to the Caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland's tale that we know. They have a bond a lot thicker than she first realizes. Torn between light and dark...I would say good vs evil but I don't believe Morpheus is evil, just a bit darker than most.

I absolutely love how well the author was able to tie in the story most people know with her original story. I am completely envious of people who can do something this amazing. Take a tale we all know and put their own, unique twist on it. To me, that seems almost harder to do than write your own, original story. Envious.

If you're looking for a unique, dark and unforgettable adventure you will not want to miss out on this tale. If you love Alice in Wonderland, you'll definitely be interested in this book, if you're not I still recommend it because, well - look at me. Plus, I mean...look at how amazing that cover is. It's so perfect for this book. It also grabs your attention, like a book cover should do. This is a definite read, for sure!


4 comments:

  1. I, too, felt like you: I wasn't sure about Alice In Wonderland. I wasn't the biggest fan as a kid, but your review has me rethinking my previous judgement. I may need to grab this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think you should give it a shot. If you buy this book, please let me know what you think! I'm curious to see if another not-so fan of Alice would love this as much as I did!

      Delete
  2. I'm not going to read all of your review because I'm in the middle of this book right now, but I'm LOVING it!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I hope you love it & I'm curious to see what you think! So unique! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...