Sep 28, 2012

Maggie Stiefvater and David Levithan Signing Write Up


The day after Maggie Stiefvater's latest book The Raven Boys was released she did a book signing at Books of Wonder in New York City.  Back in August I read and reviewed "The Raven Boys." Unfortunately I couldn't go to the release party the day before in New Jersey because of work.  But I was happy because Jessica was able to come with me to the New York signing.

Jessica and I have both gone to book signings at Books of Wonder.  I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before how much I enjoy signings at smaller book stores as opposed to major chains.  Book signings at independent book stores and at libraries always feel more intimate and personal.  Plus there usually isn't a limit to the amount of books you can have signed.



David Levithan was also there promoting his latest book Every Day.  I've actually never read any of his books, but after hear the premise of Every Day I am adding it to my to read list.  In fact, I was going to pick it up at Books of Wonder that day.  But I am low on funds at the moment, so I will have to pick it up at a later date.

Before the Q&A Maggie informed us that David is actually her editor.  So during the entire panel, we got to see the two of them vibe off of each other.  It's always interesting to be around people who know each other.  This lead to a very fun panel.

Maggie and David read and reenacted a scene from each of their books.  This was definitely my favorite part of the panel.  The scene chosen from The Raven Boys was actually my favorite from the book.  So that was definitely a treat for me to see.

David & Maggie reading from The Raven Boys

Before taking questions from the audience, Maggie and David asked each other a few questions.  Again it was cool to see how close the two of them are.  In a way it felt like we were watching a private conversation between the two of them.

After the Q&A and before the signing Maggie gave away a prize to the person who traveled the farthest to the signing.  Jessica almost won because she came from Maryland, but there was a girl who was actually from California.  

Maggie signing Jessica's book

Unfortunately during the signing, we weren't allowed to take pictures with Maggie.  But it was nice not to be rushed during the signing.  I told Maggie how the scene that her and David read was my favorite scene in the book.

Overall this was a very fun signing.  I'm so glad that I was able to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...