Jun 20, 2012

Ordained by Devon Ashley Review & Book Tour





Ordained by Devon Ashley
(The Immortal Archives, #1)
Release Date: April 15, 2011
Publisher: Devon Ashley, 332 pages
Normally, the school creates the hunters - not the monsters.

Abby Sorrensten likes to play rough. Ripping the horns off the foreheads of demons, manipulating lightning and setting things on fire with the flick of your wrist can give you a serious rush. So she probably wasn’t the best choice for the Order’s experimental training program. Thirteen years of isolation, lack of affection and a bruised and broken body from horrendous training sessions creates more than just an exceptional fighter. It creates an evil within - an evil responsible for several deaths the night she left.

Two hundred years later Abby resurfaces as the very thing the Order trained her to kill: a vampire. A mythical demon has set his sights on the school and only the ordained hunter has the powers to face it. Unbeknownst to the Order, Abby’s their precious ordained one and their only chance for survival. As much as she would love to leave them hanging, she’s not willing to risk the life of Emily, a fellow friend and hunter also fed up with the organization.

But for Abby, locking herself away in a fortress with angry descendents of those she killed causes suspicions and tensions to run high. Abby must learn the demon’s weaknesses for battle before the Order learns hers.




I apologize for the lateness of this post but today has been hectic with personal issues. Next time I will make sure to have everything scheduled ahead of time, just in case! Be sure to check back with all the tour stops for giveaways!





I got sucked in from the very beginning and my attention didn't waver at all throughout the entire book. In fact, it has me craving for more. Devon Ashley has made me a fan of hers all over again. I was lucky enough to get the chance to read Falling in Between for her earlier this year and I absolutely loved it. This book was more up my alley of what I like to read (vampires, demons...yeah my kind of reading) but it was equally good.

Her vampires are so different from anything I've read. Different generations of them and really, varying types. A pure vampire doesn't drink blood, doesn't have fangs, the sun doesn't effect them the same way and they're not evil (well I'm sure some are but most are not). The vampires that are like the ones you think of when you hear that word have evolved to be like this. It's kind of fascinating when you think about it.

Demons play a huge role in to this story and yet the Order (which is the organization that runs the vampire hunters) ignores the fact that they exist. They train all the boys and girls born with the hunter birthmark to kill vampires and only vampires. The biggest mistake the Order could possibly make for it is a very powerful demon that destroys all hunters as they turn 25. What kind of life is that if you are doomed to only a quarter of a century? Worse than that is the Order doesn't tell the hunters about their demise even though they know it'll come.

This book is told from many different points of views and I really enjoy books like that. It was a little hard to follow at first but only for a few chapters. I especially felt myself leaning toward Abby (a huntress who has been alive for well over 200 years), her mentor Noel (who is just...amazing) and Emily (the huntress who has nearly as much potential as Abby). Abby and Noel are married and have such a great, realistic relationship. They fight, they get angry with one another, keep things from each other but at the end of the day, they love each other so much that none of it matters. Emily and Abby have such a unique and fun friendship, especially toward the end of the book. Through Abby she's also formed a friendship with Noel and the three of them are just amazing.

If you love paranormal, you should definitely check out this book. I really don't know why I haven't sooner...and I know I will read the other books.

*highlight to view spoiler* Is it weird that I kind of liked Daniel? I know he wasn't a huge part in this book but I have this feeling (or maybe it's more of me hoping) that we'll see more of him? I'm really hoping so. I'd really like to see he and Emily get closer...they seem to mesh well together. *spoiler*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...