Jun 28, 2012

Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen Review

Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen
(Nightwatchers, #1)
Release Date: May 29. 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen; 348 pages

I don't do dangerous. Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back.

Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me....



I wanted to thank netgalley and HarlequinTEEN for allowing me the chance to read and review Dark Kiss.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this one still. I liked it well enough, the story was good, the characters were good and I thought the pacing was rather good but I'm not jumping up and down with excitement.

I love angel books but I think I've become more critical on them lately because I've read so many? I'm not really sure. But, with angel books, there are always the opposite side of the spectrum, demons. What's so different about this book (there are actually two things, actually) is you actually have a group of angels and demons working together toward one common goal. But also, the element they're trying to get rid of are grays...which play a huge role in the book.  What are grays, you ask? Well, they are humans who no longer have their soul as it was taken from them (usually unwillingly).

Samantha is a normal, plain teenage girl who is thrown in to this supernatural world unwillingly. Her entire world is turned upside down and all she wants is to go back to the way things used to be. The real question is, can it ever go back to how it once was once you've witnessed what she has? I really don't think it could but it will be interesting to see. She has teamed up with the angel and demon team and found herself fiercely attracted to its leader, Bishop. Kraven, the second in command who is also a demon makes this book highly entertaining. He behaves a bit nicer than what you'd expect from a demon but his behavior is exactly what I pictured. He's like a demon with a good heart...if that's even possible.

I can't tell you what this book is missing that didn't make it exciting but it's certainly missing something. I enjoyed the characters (most of the time), the story, the idea of angels and demons working together...but will I read the next book? Yes, I will. I want to know what happens now...with the way things were left. Absolutely. Dark Kiss wasn't a bad book and I would recommend it to anyone who loves angel or paranormal books. It's just not one I'd put high up to my 'to read' list, is all...


4 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of angel books but lately I've been more picky with them simply because there are just too many out. I've been wanting to read this book though but I'll be sure not to have any expectation while reading it.Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm the same way. I read so many angel books because I do love them but lately, I've just had higher expectations of them, I guess? If you read it, please let me know what you thought! I'm curious to see how someone, whose also a big fan of angel books, thinks of this! :)

      Delete
  2. I wasn't sure about this one either. I read the synopsis, but nothing screamed READ ME NOW! I am picky with paranormal because I read so much of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. The cover screamed more to me than the synopsis. Like I said, it wasn't a bad book there was just nothing that made me wanna shout to the world how good it was, you know?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...