Jun 23, 2012

Blood Moon by Alyxandra Harvey Review

Blood Moon by Alyxandra Harvey
(Drake Chronicles, #5)
Release Date: June 19, 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury; 298 pages
When the vampire tribes convene for the rare Blood Moon ceremonies, Solange’s fight with her feral nature, a mysterious stranger, family secrets and forbidden magic put all of the Drakes in danger.

The POVs are: Solange, Lucy and Nicholas.




If you have NOT read the previous books in the DRAKE CHRONICLES please read with caution. There are some spoilers that were unavoidable. Proceed with caution . . .

First, can you sit there and tell me you didn’t just drool all over this cover? Well, maybe not all over it but drool because of it. Lucy and Nicholas *sigh* Seriously, could the cover not be any hotter? Sadly, there wasn’t many ‘hot’ scenes between the two as the cover would suggest. But that’s OK because there’s a novella with those two with plenty of kissing (and vampire killing, of course).

Now, on to the actual story, now that all the drool is cleaned up. Nicholas and Lucy are my absolutely favorites in this series, as they are for a lot of other fans as well. However, there’s not one Drake family member I dislike. I’d like to say I love them all as equally but some we don’t know as well as other. I am rather fond of Quinn and Connor, to be honest. This book was told from Lucy, Nicholas & Solange’s points of view.

If I’m being honest, Solange pissed me off. She pissed me off in the last book too but not as much. I wanted to slap her with a stupid stick…a few times, actually. She’s special, we all know this but her behavior was just uncalled for. Or was it? My opinion of Solange changes closer toward the end of the book (I’m still mad at her, though).

Lucy is stuck at the Helios-Ra school and is, in a sense, being bullied by the other students because she’s kissing vampires instead of killing them. I think they’re just jealous they’re single and Lucy’s boyfriend is smoking hot. ;-) But seriously, Lucy isn’t used to having all this hatred thrown at her and it makes me for an awkward time learning to be a hunter.

Nicholas, oh boy did my heart break for him in this book. I hope I’m not giving anything away by this but he was kidnapped and tortured by people I still have no idea who they are (though I have an idea but we’ll see if I’m right next book) and somehow he escaped. *highlight to view spoiler* Can I just say I’m slightly confused by how he was never rescued? If I read correctly, multiple people were able to figure out he was being held captive in a cave and yet, he was never rescued? I’m kind of confused by that. Then he just got away? Not sure I understand that but I’m hoping more will be revealed in the sixth, and final book, Blood Prophecy. *spoiler* It’s when he escaped that gets all sorts of crazy and infuriating.

The Drake family is fighting amongst themselves, which has never happened. Well, they jokingly fight amongst themselves but they’re family, everyone does it. This isn’t that kind of fighting and it’s making me sad and scared at the same time. I truly hope they all survive the next book but I’m not sure that’s going to be possible. Any member of this family falls and I can assure you, tears will fall as well.

Six month wait isn’t too bad though it’s going to be long enough. If you must know, I’m a huge fan of this series and if you are just reading this review without having read any other Drake books then I ask you, why? Go back to the beginning with Hearts at Stake and fall in love with this family like I have. I absolutely recommend this book once you’ve read the previous four. Alyxandra Harvey, that ending was brutal.

*highlight to view spoiler* Nicholas cannot be evil. I will not believe it. Viola must have some sort of control over him or it’s something that occurred during his time being held captive and tortured. I will not believe for a second that he has some evil, hidden somewhere within him. I call bullshit. That being said, again, bring me 2013 already! *spoiler*



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...