Apr 27, 2012

Book Review: Destined to Fail by Samantha March

Destined to Fail by Samantha March
Release Date: October 11, 2011
Publisher: Marching Ink LLC ; 290 pages

Jasmine Jones is ready to begin her new life as a college student, and is ecstatic to have best friend Abby by her side. But weeks into their new college life, Abby drops the bomb- she is pregnant, and dropping out of college. Jasmine can’t handle the fact that Abby is wasting her opportunity to get an education, and going back to her cheating, abusive boyfriend. She struggles to move on from her friendship with Abby, but befriends two new girls at college. Everything seems back on track for Jasmine- great new friendships and roommates, a strong relationship with boyfriend Nate, and excelling at her college courses. But Jasmine’s newfound happiness is shattered when her pregnancy test comes out positive. Does she have to drop out of college now and become a young mother? Will Nate stay with her? How can she afford a child? Jasmine’s life has been filled with obstacles and challenges along the way- from a missing father, sexual and physical abuse, and addictions that tore her family apart. With this latest setback, Jasmine fears her life will always be a struggle. Destined to Fail is one woman’s story about overcoming adversity in life, about taking the negatives and finding a positive, and about never giving up hope.


I was introduced to Samantha March through an author friend of mine, Sarah Bella. I have worked a lot with Sarah, with making banners, wallpapers and book covers for her. So she gave Samantha my info and we hooked up and I created the cover for her up and coming novel, Destined to fail. Samantha was so kind to send me a signed copy for working with her on her book cover. I can now understand how authors must feel when they get their books in their hands because seeing a book cover that I helped create on an actual book is an amazing feeling. Onto the book!

Chick Lit isn’t one of my normal genres that I read, but I liked the synopsis of this book, so I was looking forward to checking it out. I did have someone tell me they didn’t think it was believable for all this bad stuff to happen to one person, but I know first-hand that it can and does. One thing that I loved that Samantha did in this book is she made the character very realistic and it feels like you are reading a story about someone close to you. Jasmine is your typical out of high school girl looking forward to a new life and a new period in her life at college. Even though things look good, life doesn’t always want to play by your rules and things just seem to come crashing down.

*highlight to view spoiler* THEY ALL DIE...HAHAHAI honestly did not see Jasmine having a miscarriage coming. I know from the synopsis that she got pregnant, but never once did that thought even come into my mind. I really thought she’d end up having the baby and Nate and Jasmine would be a cute little family. *spoiler*

I do love how all of Jasmines struggles end up helping her new friends that she meets. Sometimes, even your worst moment can really be the one thing that can help someone else out, in a weird sort of way. I love how the end of this book turned out. I think this is a good book for anyone to read to understand that yes life may give you obstacles, sometimes too many, but there is a way to get past them and make things in your life and others, something better and something worth living for.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for my cover and the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime hun, I cannot wait for your next book!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...