Mar 12, 2012

Book Review: Knightfall by Berinn Rae

Knightfall by Berinn Rae
(Guardians of the Seven Seals, #1)
Release Date: May 2, 2011
Publisher: Crescent Moon Press; 238 pages

A woman believed to be the harbinger of Armageddon.

The immortal knight assigned to kill her.

Alaskan bush pilot Kerra Cain lives a relatively normal life. That is, until a fallen angel reveals his plans to use Kerra to trigger the Apocalypse. To escape, she must place her trust in the arms of Gareth, a dangerously sexy, enigmatic man who has haunted her dreams for years.

Believing his mission unjust and in search of answers, Gareth whisks Kerra away to a protected island fortress where the Guardians of the Seven Seals train, all the while battling their growing attraction. When one of the Seals is kidnapped, Kerra must embrace a heritage long denied her if they are to rescue the Seal and save the world from Armageddon.

Normally I do not read romance novels because they come across cheesy to me. However, this book is a paranormal romance book, so that aspect of it intrigued me to read it. I had heard about this book through someone that I used to know and I wanted to check it out. I am fortunate enough to have a good friendship with the author, but that will not change my review, I also promised her I wouldn't let our friendship cloud my judgement. Trust me it hasn't.

First thing I have to say, is that this book doesn't need the romance aspect of it. Granted it is nice, very well written, if it was written like most YA romance is written it would have been just as good. A little mystery to the intimate details. Berinn Rae has set up such an amazing story it doesn't need any extra help from the romance. The romance in this story isn't bad at all though. You get the picture very clear, and it is smoking! This isn't like any other romance novel you may read, which is another reason I liked it so much. No cheesy, cliche' crap. The world that Berinn has created, is a very interesting fantasy world. It is such a good paranormal story.

You get a sense for all the characters in this book. Right away, you know Gareth is one hot sexy dude, that right there is enough to keep anyone reading, hehe. Kerra is a girl we can all relate to and probably someone we could all be friends with. Malgrin is scary right off the bat. He just oozes the bad guy vibe right away. You are very involved right away and want to keep reading to find out what happens to all these characters.

For me, the reason I didn't give this book a 5 out of 5 is the beginning of this book was very slow for me. I kept pushing on waiting for it to pick up, which of course it did. I am not huge into romance, so that put me off a little bit, but the more I got into the story the more I started to really like it. Berinn is one hot romance writer and I an very excited to read what she has coming next!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...