Dec 31, 2011

Book Review: Out in Blue by Sarah Gilman

Out in Blue by Sarah Gilman
(Return to Sanctuary, #1)
Release Date: August 2, 2011
Publisher: Entangled Publishing; 242 pages

In a violent world where fallen archangels are hunted for their valuable plumage, Wren knows one thing for certain: the human woman who saved him from a poacher attack will die if she stays with him. The demon responsible for his parents' gruesome deaths two decades ago pines for the chance to rip apart any woman who stands under Wren's wing.

Wren doesn't expect Ginger to stay by his side once she discovers his ability to drain life with a mere touch, yet she lingers. When an unusual talent of her own reveals the location of Wren's father, Wren's isolated world implodes. With the help of the demon protectors he's sworn never to trust again, Wren risks everything to rescue his father, confront the demon who stalks his and Ginger's every step, and claim his eternity with the most courageous woman he's ever known.




A new take on archangels and demons. OUT IN BLUE blew me away. At least the story did and the characters however, some of the dialogue I felt was a bit weak and lacking, only in the ‘love’ scenes, though. It just seemed…well, it wasn’t believable. Cheesy, in fact. It was only two scenes that really bothered me…that I didn’t find sexy. I actually found myself awkwardly chuckling. If they were teenagers maybe it would’ve passed but they’re not, they’re adults. BUT that being said, that is my only negative thing I have to say about this book.

The story is told from both Wren, a half human/half archangel - son of archangel Raphael and Ginger, orphaned human girl who was raised by a Guardian demon, Devin. Ginger does an amazing thing, especially for a human, she warns Wren about the poachers inside his home who have come to kill him and steal his feathers. Archangel feathers are worth lots of money and obviously, many people are greedy and only care about their wealth. Sick people. She saved his life and now it seems their future will be intertwined.

Wren finds out that his father is, in fact, still alive after 18 years of thinking him dead. He’s been held captive, tortured and stripped of his wings every six months. A horrible, unthinkable pain for an archangel, one which Raphael has to endure twice a year. Ginger, see’s something that no one else can see, a demon spirit, who has lead her to finding out the whereabouts of Wren’s father. Things take a crazy turn, actually a few surprises are thrown our way especially the lineage of Ginger, who always thought she was born from two, normal human parents but she could possibly be much more than anyone thought.

Now, when I said I didn’t like these ‘love’ scenes or found them cheesy I do have to say that I do LOVE Wren and Ginger together. They are perfect for each other and they work well together but some of their more intimate scenes together just didn’t flow.

This book is fast paced and has you guessing what’s to come. Not to mention, the Epilogue is amazing and just has me biting at the bits for what’s to come. I can’t wait to read more about these amazing archangels and demons but I only hope some of the dialogue improves. If you are like me and LOVE angels, you’ll want to pick up this book. It’s different than anything you’ve read, I can assure you of that. You think angels and you think demons and I can assure you that you’re thinking ‘enemies’ but not in this story. Not at all. Pick up a copy and fall in love with this story and these characters like I have.

*highlight to view spoiler* Especially Jett. I absolutely love him and he wasn't even in there that much but I know he's such an important part of this book, and obviously the next one. He helped Raphael escape and obviously cares about Raphael's security. Not to mention that Epilogue. Makes me giddy just thinking about it!!! *spoiler*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...