Oct 20, 2011

Book Review: Evermore by Alyson Noël

Evermore by Alyson Noël
(The Immortals, #1)
Release Date: Feb 3, 2009
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin; 306 pages

Since a horrible accident claimed the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever can see auras, hear people’s thoughts, and know a person’s life story by touch. Going out of her way to shield herself from human contact to suppress her abilities has branded her as a freak at her new high school—but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste . . .

Ever sees Damen and feels an instant recognition. He is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy, and he holds many secrets. Damen is able to make things appear and disappear, he always seems to know what she’s thinking—and he’s the only one who can silence the noise and the random energy in her head. She doesn’t know who he really is—or what he is. Damen equal parts light and darkness, and he belongs to an enchanted new world where no one ever dies.

Immortal. To live forever. To not die. My first thought of immortal I immediately think of Greek Gods, vampires, or anything associated with the supernatural. It also makes you think of if you live forever what would you do? The popular theory these days seems to be go to high school.

Evemore, the first book in the Immortals series introduces us to Ever Bloom. Ever is a sixteen year old who after surviving a car accident that took the lives of her parents, sister, and their dog discovers she has psychic abilities. She can see auras (colors that describe personality traits) She can read people's minds. After the accident Ever moves in with her aunt Sabine, and transfers to a new school. Once a popular student with superficial friends, she trades in for a close friendship with Haven and Miles. Miles is your typical side kick male friend. Haven is well just Haven. I will be honest. Haven is probably the least favorite book character I have ever been introduced too. Yes, I dislike her that much. I find her to be superficial, and unfortunately she just gets worst as the series goes on.

Luckily for me, Haven's presence isn't as big in this book, and she's not the lead in the series. Ever is someone who the readers can sympathize with, even if she makes unwise choices. Her first bad decision comes in the form of her treatment of a new male student by the name of Damen. Damen has an interesting effect on Ever. He is the only person whose mind Ever cannot read, and she also does not see an aura on him. Immediately this sends warning signals to Ever, so she decides to avoid Damen. I don't know about you, but if I were psychic and found one person who's mind I could not read, I would try to find out whatever I possibly could about that person. But of course, in a a typical YA fashion, Damen find his way into Ever's heart. Damen is very unoriginal. I found myself frustrated trying to figure out what exactly he was while reading this book, more than my curiosity over what he was.

I think my dislike of the characters definitely affect my feelings towards this series. There isn't really anyone who the readers can connect with. As the books go on, the characters continue to make poor choices.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...