Oct 23, 2012

Guardian by Heather Burch Review

Guardian by Heather Burch
(Halflings, #2)
Release Date: October 9, 2012
Publisher: Zonderkidz; 320 pages
Vigilance. The mission to safeguard Nikki Youngblood depends on the fragile alliance of two half-angel, half-human guardians, both struggling with intense feelings for the girl who has been assigned to their care. Mace, steadfast and deeply in love, wants to protect Nikki at all costs, while Raven's loyalty to Nikki finds him advocating for her independence and battling his own darker inclinations. At the same time, Nikki finds it harder and harder to choose between the two heavenly beings she may never have. Dangers intensify, and tensions between Mace and Raven flare as the purpose of their mission becomes clear. Can their defenses hold up to master manipulator Damon Vessler and the powerful secret he holds regarding Nikki's heritage? Can anyone protect Nikki from her true purpose and destiny?


I definitely enjoyed this a lot more than the first book. The whole story, characters, decision, outcomes, etc all seemed a lot better than in Halflings. Nikki wasn't as annoying though toward the end I really wanted to hit her a few times. (But I see someone did at least get to do that to her)

We meet some new, gorgeous halflings in this book and I really hope we see more of them. They're guys, beautiful blue eyes and oh, did I mention they have Australian accents? Sure, you're reading a book so you can't exactly hear them talking but in your head, you can hear the sexy accents. Total bonus! Nikki is on a boat heading to Europe with an angel, and nearly a dozen halflings. That sounds like a cruise to me ;)

She's still torn between Mace and Raven. Her heart is clearly leaning toward Mace but Raven is still exciting. Raven is what she calls Freedom. I don't know if I agree with that. I mean, yeah he would be freedom but not the kind of freedom that would be good for Nikki. Mace is stability that I think Nikki needs, especially when she finds out the shock of her life.

New friendships are formed, which is awesome. Betrayal happens - some way more hurtful than others. Some betrayal is unintentional but regardless, it hurts all the same.

I am totally on Team Mace here and I really hope she gets her happy ending with him. I want Raven to be happy too, I mean...one of the other female halflings are interested in him...I say he goes for it! Unless he doesn't survive the next book, which then I may just be depressed because I do like him, a lot, just not for Nikki.

If you're a fan of angel books, you'll want to check out this series. It's very enjoyable and it's got a lot of great characters to keep you very interested. You'll form attachments to more than one half angel, half human, that I can promise you!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...