Aug 7, 2012

Onyx by Jennfier L. Armentrout Review

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout
(Lux, #2)
Release Date: August 14, 2012
Publisher: Entangled Teen; 416 pages

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarre connection. I’ve sworn him off even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But against all common sense, I’m falling for him. Hard.

Our relationship issues aren’t out biggest problem…

The Department of Defense is here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we’re linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And when a new boy shows up a school with a secret of his own, things get complicated fast. I need to choose between my own instincts and Daemon’s.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. Daemon’s never going to stop searching until gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies.







Jennifer L. Armentrout, you are a goddess! I knew Onyx was going to be good because how could it not when Obsidian was so damn great? But I did not expect it to be this mind blowingly good. You see what I did there; I just made a new word because I just needed to for this review. I am still an emotional wreck from what I read. I’m still trying to process everything.

Oh, and we can’t forget how much kissing is happening. Lots and lots of steamy moments, which, let’s be honest…we’re all on the edge of seats for those.

I really don’t know how I’m going to say everything I want to say without spoiling things for people so prepare to see a lot of hidden text (view at your own risk because hidden text = spoilers). This is a book for every and any YA blogger out there. It’s like a big group hug to every blogger out there and that makes me wanna hug Jennifer because it’s just so amazing. It makes us relate to Katy even more because we know what it’s like to write the reviews, have all these books to read but not enough time, doing our weekly memes and getting books in the mail. I knew going in to this book that there was a scene where Daemon joined Katy for her In My Mailbox video and I was twitching with excitement any time her blog was mentioned, hoping that would be the scene. A warning, it’s a good ways in to the book before this scene happens but it is everything I wanted it to be. I only wish she would’ve actually recorded this IMM video while she had the models here in the US with her because that would’ve been absolutely epic. (Who knows, she might have and I don’t know it. If that were the case, she’s definitely getting a hug whenever I meet her).

There is a new character introduced in this book, well one that plays a very big, important role. His name is Blake Saunders and he’s a surfer boy from Santa Monica, CA. He is good looking, though he’s Daemon, of course, and he’s normal. Hello love triangle. Who ever thought we’d ever see Daemon Black jealous? Never me but oh my goodness does it make his sexy meter shoot up like 100 points. Katy becomes close with her because he’s something normal which is so different from what she’s been around…ya know, aliens and nearly dying. I know all of you are probably groaning hearing about a love triangle and someone for Daemon to compete with, don’t worry – I was too but it was interesting how Jennifer managed this. *highlight for spoiler* It turns out Blake isn’t as normal as one would seem. He actually has a lot more in common with Katy than you’d think. A hell of a lot more in common with her than Daemon would like, that’s for sure. *end spoiler*

Katy is doing everything she can to fight off these feelings she has for Daemon. She blames them on their new connection; a connection that was made when he saved her from dying in Obsidian. Apparently she believes he wouldn’t be attracted to her if it weren’t for this connection. Do we believe any of this? Not at all. I really wanted to smack her a few times and tell her to wake the bleep up. Daemon had the hots for her and it had absolutely nothing to do with their new found connection. That was just a bonus. Then again, if she stopped fighting these feelings, things wouldn’t be nearly as interesting as they are in Onyx.

Sadly, we see a lot less of Dee and I upset by this. I adore Dee and she’s so bubbly you can’t help but smile while reading the parts where she’s in it. Well, at least that’s how I felt during Obsidian. She has a reason for not being in it as much and I’m super happy about it. It involves a boy. Need I say more?

The DOD are in town because during the fight that went down with Arem in Obsidian, apparently a satellite was destroyed. A very high tech satellite at that. The DOD are curious and want to investigate because they’re pretty certain it involved the Luxen and well, Luxen are #1 on their radars. The DOD being in town has put everyone on edge and made you cringe any time a black SUV showed up or drove by.*highlight to view spoiler* Katy spotted Bethany. Can you believe it? Bethany is alive. The second I read that I thought ‘does this mean Dawson is to? Please let it be so’ – I would cry if I found he didn’t die. After reading Shadows, I think I might have fallen harder for him than I did Daemon. Can you believe it? What would Daemon think? *end spoiler*

My heart is aching, absolutely aching after finishing Onyx. Sadly, I can’t even hint at why it aches so but if yours doesn’t hurt at the end, you heartless person, you. (Only kidding…sort of…) *highlight to view spoiler* Adam’s death is killing me, absolutely killing me. Dee was so happy and so in love and vic versa and he’s dead. I can’t even imagine what she’ll be going through. To think that your best friend is sort of the reason he’s dead too can’t help. I don’t blame Katy. She’s only human, after all but I can understand the guilt she’s carrying around. If she wouldn’t listened to Daemon and not trusted Blake, Adam would most likely be alive and happy with the person he loved most – Dee. It breaks my fucking heart, it really does. Do you know what else breaks my heart? How damaged both Bethany and Dawson are. Opal is going to be interesting and probably heartbreaking as well. Actually, it will most definitely be more heartbreaking than what I just went through. I’m still recovering and yet…I want to read it again. What kind of masochist am I? I absolutely love torturing myself… *end spoiler*

I will never hesitate in saying I recommend this book. Obviously, after reading Obsidian, of course. This series is absolutely amazing. It sucks you in and it refuses to let you go, ever. You walk around daily with this always there in your mind. These characters, this story, the love…it’s there, always in the back of your mind. That’s powerful for a story to do that. For an author to do that is just magical. Read this series, you won’t be disappointed. If you’re a blogger, this series is a must.


3 comments:

  1. Great review! I want this book so badly, Daemon is so freaking sexy! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! One more week & it's out. I can't wait to get an actual copy and hold it lol! Daemon is incredibly sexy. There are no words to describe him! YUM!

      Delete
  2. Very nice review! I got really excited while reading your review and it made me smile throughout.
    waa! I can't wait to have my own copy of this. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...