Aug 12, 2012

My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent Review


My Soul to Save
by Rachel Vincent
(Soul Screamers #2)
Release Date: December, 29, 2009
Publisher: Harlequin Teen; 288 pages

When Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies.

So when teen pop star Eden croaks onstage and Kaylee doesn’t wail, she knows something is dead wrong. She can’t cry for someone who has no soul.

The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad’s ironclad curfew and putting her too-hot-to-be-real boyfriend’s loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls: a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld—a consequence they can’t possibly understand.

Kaylee can’t let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk...


Warning there will be spoilers from My Soul to Take in this review.  If you haven't read My Soul to Take and don't want to be spoiled, I suggest you proceed with caution.

From start to finish I couldn't put this book down.  My Soul to Save picks up not too far from where My Soul to Take ended.  Kaylee is enjoying her high school life with Nash.  But she has your typical teenage girl worries.  She wonders why Nash is dating her.  And if his attraction to her is because they both are bean sidhes.  She also is dealing with her absentee father now stepping up into his role as a parent.  A role that he is taking very seriously that is borderline over protective.  I have to say that this book has a very realistic overview of teenage life, with the exception of the obvious paranormal parts.

My favorite character in this series without a doubt is the grim reaper Tod.  At the end of My Soul to Take, we found out that Nash and Tod are actually brothers.  This was a twist that made me grin.  The conversations between Nash and Tod suddenly clicked.  Their bickering was pretty much your standard sibling banter.  And fortunately for the reader, their banter continues in this book.  Since Tod is a reaper, he can pop up anytime and anyplace at his choosing.  And unfortunately for Kaylee and Nash, he tends to pop up at the most inconvenient of times.  Plus Tod can pick and choose who can see and hear him.  He seems to get a huge kick out of presenting himself to Kaylee while she is with Nash, but not letting Nash see or hear him.

The soul that the title of this book that is being attempted to save belongs to a  pop singer named Addison, who Tod dated when he was still alive.  I remember watching a Simpson episode where Homer sold his soul for donut.  Now your average person most likely wouldn't sell their soul for something as feeble as a donut.  But this book makes you wonder what would you sell your soul for?  Most people say that there is nothing they would sell their soul for.  But what if you don't know the whole circumstance of the situation?  What if your decision not only affect you, but it affects your family as well?  Sometimes the answer isn't so easy, nor is the answer obvious.

Overall this book was really good.  As I said before I couldn't put it down.  It was an excellent follow up to the first book in the series, and I can't wait to read the next book My Soul to Keep.



1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about these books! I hate when I can't just sit and read them, they're so good! You can see my review here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...