Jan 19, 2012

Book Review: Ashes by Estevan Vega

Ashes by Estevan Vega
(Arson, #2)
Release Date: September 11, 2011
Publisher: StoneGate Ink;

More than three months have passed since Arson and Emery were taken. Taken and then separated.

And experimented on.

Salvation Asylum is more like a prison than a psychiatric facility. Unknowingly, Arson has become a vital instrument in a campaign set to genetically alter mankind. Enraged, confused, trapped, and unable to fully manifest his abilities, he wonders if he will ever see Emery again. His new existence is one crawling with questions. Is Grandma alive? Where does the fire come from? Can he become more than a monster?

In Ashes, book two of the ARSON series, nightmare and reality collide as Arson must embrace what he is and the haunting realization that there may be others out there, others like him.

It’s funny how all these characters are connected in some form or another. It blows my mind. But it makes for an amazing story. I really enjoyed the first book, ARSON but I absolutely loved ASHES.

This book starts off with a bang, though, not literally. The first chapter has you cringing all the way through it. It’s a great way to grab the reader’s attention. It gives you a feel for what’s to come throughout the whole book.

I’m kind of bummed about the lack of Arson and Emery interactions BUT I understand why. It’s just so sad. They finally admit to the feelings they have for each other, tell each other they love each other but then are torn apart. Arson was happy, for the first time in his life and poof, it’s all gone. Very sad. But we learn about how strong he really is, or how strong he’s truly capable of being and also how he was born with these powers.

We find out there’s more to Emery than those nasty scars on her face.

Meeting Adam, I thought I liked him but now, I’m not so sure. I’m not sure I trust him. Sure, his powers are amazing and he really is the answer but the question is, for which side? There’s a lot more to him than initially meets the eye. I was excited that he wanted to help Emery but as the book went on, my guard started to go up…

I love how there are many different stories going on throughout the book but they’re all related. It makes it so much more interesting. I especially love the development with Joel and Aimee, Emery’s parents.

So many good things about this book but so hard to talk about without spoiling what happens. And you don’t want to be spoiled, trust me. This is such a dark book, so different from what I normally read. But you know what? We all need to go away from our ‘comfort zone’ and it’s definitely worth it. I absolutely recommend this to anyone who is looking for something different. Not something with rainbows and unicorns…but something just dark and addicting. Of course, you must read ARSON before you pick up a copy of ASHES but…do it. Seriously.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...