Nov 14, 2011

Book Review: The Hungry by Steven W. Booth, Harry Shannon

The Hungry by Steven W. Booth, Harry Shannon
(The Hungry, #2)
Release Date: September 29, 2011
Publisher: Genius Publishing; 224 pages

Sheriff Penny Miller of Flat Rock, Nevada, is the kind of woman who will do whatever it takes to protect those she is sworn to serve, even when that includes a murderous biker, her wimpy ex-husband, a unit of incompetent National Guardsmen, and the scientist responsible for releasing the undead upon an unsuspecting world.



I can’t remember where I found out about The Hungry, I believe it was from a link on facebook for a free copy of Jailbreak. Jailbreak is a short story “co-written by veteran writer Harry Shannon and newcomer Steven W. Booth, is a briskly paced weird-western-zombie-apocalypse tale.” I purchased this one for my kindle because it was free, and anyone who knows me knows I love zombies. I knew from the first page, I was going to want to buy The Hungry.

What I love from the beginning of this story is the main character. Sheriff Penny Miller. She is a kick ass woman and doesn’t take crap from anyone. You really love her right away, and it makes you want to see her through this scary adventure and see what happens to her. She's the kind of girl as a girl you'd want as a friend and kind of girl men would want to date!

The zombies in this story were well written, scary, but not too stereo typical. The main focus wasn’t on the zombies. It was but wasn’t. They were a huge factor, but the story was more focused on Penny, and other survivors that she finds, such as her ex-husband and some people she locked up in her jail. You felt like you were one of the people with Penny as you were reading this story. It felt like if I turned around, I’d see zombies behind me. I do love the constant reference to the fact that she was stuck wearing her old wedding dress, it just makes the picture so much more interesting, a tough sheriff in her wedding dress, hehe.

Reading the reflection at the end of the book, I completely agree with everything that was said. I CANNOT wait for the sequel to this book. I could not put this book down. So many twist and turns at every corner, it was just such an amazing book to read and I am so glad that I discovered it!! Amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...