Nov 23, 2011

Book Review: Dragon Wings by D.C. Grace

Dragon Wings by D.C. Grace
(The Amethyst Dragon, #1)
Release Date: November 24, 2011
Publisher: Fancy Fae; 460 pages

Welcome to the world of Dade Blue-Therror, the Amethyst Dragon. For Dade, chivalry is not dead, and Avalon still exists on a plane that holds fast to simple truths. Fairy magic is real, Morgan le Fay is real, and with Dade's help, Camelot could rise again. That is, as long as Shelby Mercy doesn't distract Dade from his duties.

Stationed in small town Kentucky in the earthly realm, Shelby could prove a deadly preoccupation for Dade. So join him as the tale unfolds, and enter a world that few have glimpsed. Welcome to Avalon, the world of the elusive Dragon Fae. Slip through the gates, and fall in love with the Amethyst Dragon, his best friend Leo, the Sunrise Dragon, and Dade's aunt Tryamon, Keeper of the Forest. There's plenty of room, so bring your silver bough for the Ferryman. But remember, with dragons, you can get burned...

I became a fan of D.C. Grace’s through her first series, The Guardians and when she told me she was working up a new series about Dragon Fae, I was ready to read it. Now, before I continue I must say, I have become great friends with the author and reading this novel was so much different than anything. She sent me this book chapter to chapter and we talked a lot throughout her writing. It was an amazing experience and I’m thankful she trusted me enough & could rely on me that much as a friend to give me this opportunity. But what you must know, just because she is my friend does NOT mean I’m biased. Just ask her – when I didn’t like something or didn’t think it fit right, I let her know. But the story is just beautiful, the world is breath-taking and the characters grab your heart and they never let go.

I’ve always had a fascination with dragons, as most people do; and Fae (Fairies), well – I’ve always had a thing for them, as well. So when D.C. combines both worlds – it’s like a party in your hands.

Dademond, known as Dade, Blue-Therror is probably one of the most romantic characters I’ve read. Sometimes, so romantic it’s sickening. (Mainly because us women want a guy like him to really exist lol) His eyes, as I imagine, as so mesmerizing. They’re amethyst, just like the color of his skin when he’s in dragon form. Could you imagine looking into those beautiful purple eyes every day? *swoon* Lucky Shelby Mercy – who we meet her as a normal, popular every day sixteen year old girl.

I really like Shelby. She’s very smart, has an amazing family, has a backbone and isn’t afraid to stand up for herself. She, about halfway through the story, struggles in the ‘popular’ crowd and I’d imagine most girls would cave to the pressure, but she doesn’t. She fights for what she wants and what she feels is right. And kudos to her; I admire her greatly. Not to mention she’s a perfect fit for Dade.

Both main characters have an amazing family supporting them, though both from two different worlds. But it’s fascinating and fun when both worlds collide, in more ways than one. Not to mention we also have Shelby’s best friend (who is also interested in her romantically), Marshall Townes and Caelio, known as Leo, Dade’s best friend (who is also the sunrise dragon, so you can imagine how beautiful he is in dragon form) who I absolutely love and will surprise you as the story progresses. Some good surprises, some not so much.

The end is going to rip your heart to pieces, just a warning. Authors enjoy making us cry and making us angry. DC does an amazing job at both things. The further you get in this book, make sure you have tissues near by for sudden water works. You'll thank me later that I warned you to have them within reaching distance.

There is as much drama and action as there is romance, and that’s saying a lot as there is a lot of romance in this novel. Enough to make you swoon over and over again. So if you’re looking for a lot of love, action and drama – this is your new read.

This is the first New Adult book I’ve read and it’s fantastic. As Young Adult novels are too, well, reserved. As I understand, since it’s geared towards a younger crowd but NA feeds us older YA fans. It’s not extremely descriptive or indecent as adult novels but they go above YA in certain scenes. It’s not recommended for the younger YA readers, but if you’re older, like me, you’ll appreciate this type of writing.





FUN FACT: If you’re a fan of the adult series, Black Dagger Brotherhood, you may recognize Dade’s last name “Therror” and may be asking yourself, “Did DC get the idea from JR Ward?” The answer is yes.

2 comments:

  1. It's sound so fantastic. I hope to read the book! Jessica, you have written a good review, even if I don't like reading (I like it a lot) I would like to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] newest book is the first in the Amethyst Dragon series which is available in e-book format TODAY, Dragon Wings. (The book will be available in paperback on December 1, [...]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...