Sep 2, 2016

The Beauty of Darkness by Mary E. Pearson {Review]

The Beauty of Darkness by Mary E. Pearson
(The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
Release Date: August 2, 2016
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.; 679 pages
Rating:
Lia has survived Venda—but so has a great evil bent on the destruction of Morrighan. And only Lia can stop it.

With war on the horizon, Lia has no choice but to assume her role as First Daughter, as soldier—as leader. While she struggles to reach Morrighan and warn them, she finds herself at cross-purposes with Rafe and suspicious of Kaden, who has hunted her down.

In this conclusion to the Remnant Chronicles trilogy, traitors must be rooted out, sacrifices must be made, and impossible odds must be overcome as the future of every kingdom hangs in the balance.

If you have NOT read The Kiss of Deception and The Heart of Betrayal please read with caution. There may be some spoilers that were unavoidable. Proceed with caution . . .

You guys. I’m sad.

I didn’t love The Beauty of Darkness.

I didn’t hate it either but it doesn’t match up the awesomeness and amazingness of The Kiss of Deception and The Heart of Betrayal. It fell short. Very short.

I read this book and initially, I was happy. I was happy with the outcome; I was happy with the things that happened along the way.

Then I sat on it for a few days and the more I thought about it, the more I was realizing that this just didn’t feel like the book it should’ve been. It’s huge; it had plenty of chances for it to be that book but it just didn’t.

Lia was a bit of a bitch. The way she treated Rafe was shitty. I get what position she was in but she didn’t have to do it the way she did. Not when he went through what he went through to save your life and your freedom. He didn’t have to do any of that in the Heart of Betrayal but he did. Do you know why? Because he loved you. I just feel like you didn’t show him the same respect and appreciation that he showed you. That’s unfair.

I’m very happy with Kaden’s storyline. I was actually really excited about that and sadly, I think it’s the storyline that made this book so enjoyable to me. Which is the complete opposite of the previous books. Rafe and Lia’s storyline is what grabbed me and pulled me in. That storyline lost its grip on me and Kaden took over.

I’m also disappointed with the cover. It shows Lia being this badass girl but she really wasn’t. She was very lackluster for all the buildup we had coming to this battle. This war. It was very . . . unrealistic and not at all what I was expecting.

The ending was also extremely abrupt. This book seriously needed an epilogue or another few chapters because after everything we’ve been through with these characters, I felt like we and they deserved better.

This review pains me to write because of how much I love and respect Mary E. Pearson. Because of the Kiss of Deception, I’ve become an avid fan of hers and I have so much respect for her. I never wanted to write a negative review for a series I fell so in love with but I have to write an honest review. I have to say what I felt even if it hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...