Aug 1, 2012

Timepiece by Myra McEntire Review

Timepiece by Myra McEntire
(Hourglass #2)
Release Date: June 12, 2012
Publisher: Egmont USA; 336 pages
A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking...

Kaleb Ballard's relentless flirting is interrupted when Jack Landers, the man who tried to murder his father, timeslips in and attacks before disappearing just as quickly. But Kaleb has never before been able to see time travelers, unlike many of his friends associated with the mysterious Hourglass organization. Are Kaleb's powers expanding, or is something very wrong?

Then the Hourglass is issued an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the time gene, or time will be altered with devastating results.

Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Jack. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough...

The follow-up to Hourglass, Timepiece blends the paranormal, science fiction, mystery, and suspense genres into a nonstop thrill ride where every second counts.







Warning there will be some spoilers for Hourglass in this review.  So if you haven't read Hourglass yet, read with caution.

After finishing Timepiece my first thought was, "Wow what a way to follow up Hourglass!"  This book was just amazing.  I adore the characters in this series a lot.  The sequel allows us to get to know the supporting characters from the first book.

Hourglass was told from the point of view of Emerson, and it centered around the love story of her and Michael.  Timepiece is told from Michael's best friend Kaleb's point of view.  Now it must be noted that during Hourglass Kaleb developed a bit of a crush on Emerson.  So there is a bit of tension between Kaleb and Michael.

I have to admit that I enjoyed Timepiece, but I did miss Emerson and Michael.  But Kaleb's story works.  It's always tricky for a series to have a different character point of view.  But in the case of this series it really helped with character development.  And for a story telling point of view, the flow of the book went smoothly from beginning to end.

The main villian Jack is just so intriguing.  When I read Hourglass, I was really taken by surprise by his actions.  I really felt for Emerson when he told her exactly what he did to her.  I can only imagine having such power.  To be able to take someone's memories, and replace them with whatever you choose or just leave them empty.  I would just die if I lost certain memories.  I think I wouldn't know what to do with myself.  If I had this power, I wouldn't know if I'd consider it a blessing or a curse.

Another thing to be noted is Emerson's best friend Lily's role in the series increased in this book.  I enjoyed this greatly.  A lot of times the best friend takes a backseat when a new love interest or new friends jump into the picture, so it was nice to see Lily was not forgotten.  Lily also develops a very intriguing relationship with Kaleb.  Their hot and cold relationship was very exciting to read.  I found myself giggling a lot at their back and forth banter.  And it's always good when I giggle while reading a book.

Kaleb's story is an excellent story.  This book is a wild ride from start to finish.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...